Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Bugs Will Come!!!

“Mom?”

“Yes Laura?”

“Can we take the door off and see if we can get a look at the outside cats’ kittens?”

“Honey, I don’t think we will be able to see them, but let’s give it a try”

She jumps up and runs into the bathroom while I grab the screwdriver to undo the wall covering that is over the hot water heater door. I take the four screws out and set the thing aside. Laura hands me the flashlight and I hunker down to try to get a peek. Truthfully, I was as curious as she was so I didn’t mind. I AM able to get a good look. And what I see is not what I wanted to see. There, laying on the board that holds up my tub is a tiny little brown striped body. My eyes well with tears and I choke out “Hun, we have a problem.” Not only was it so sad to see that little lifeless body, the little paws so tiny, the little nose, the little skinny tail…. Wait, holy shit, that isn’t a kitten!

“Bill!!!!!”

“What”

“Come here now!”

“What, I’m trying to watch my Pirate show”

“For God’s sake, push pause and come here!”

“Oh, I forgot about that thingy being able to pause, how did we ever manage without that? You know, I think Dish is the best thing we spend our money on. What?”

“I looked under here and no, I can’t see the kittens but there is something dead in here… I thought it was a baby but it isn’t.. Bill, we have a dead ass rat under here and we have to get it out, its gross, it will get hot and nasty and the bugs will come, Bill, THE BUGS WILL COME, YOU HAVE TO GET IT OUT!” I could feel the panic growing; a hot flash enveloped my face and burned the tip of my ears. Sweat popped out on my forehead and I could feel my heart starting to speed into its normal Salsa Dance of Hormone panic.

“It’s ok, calm down; we can just take a broom and push it out or something.”

“YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND. THERE ISN’T ENOUGH ROOM WHERE IT IS TO GET TO IT!” I’m doing the ‘icky dance’ Arms flailing, hands flapping, hopping from one foot to the other.

“We can get it out Carol, calm down”

“THE BUGS.. THE BUGS WILL COME AND IT WILL STINK!” I half moan, half scream as I sink down onto the toilet.

“Ok, so we can’t get it out that way. We are going to have to go through the wall honey.”

“FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN’T THAT CAT JUST BRING ME A DAMNED CARD!”

“Well, she is a cat dear.. There’s not fingers to hold a pen and… hey, don’t give me that stank eye, I was just kidding. OK, OK, I’ll just get it out.”

So, now I have a hole in my bathroom wall, but the damned dead thing is gone.. It was one of those little ground squirrels and not a rat. Thank God! But, still ummm GAROOOOOSSSSSSS! I am not sure if it was one of her offerings or if it was dinner, but it had to go. I compensated her with a can of cat food though. We were able to see the kittens and she had five. They are so cute! She is still doing pretty badly, she must have had a much harder time giving birth than Inside Kitty did. We had to clean her up today, she didn’t finish it herself and the kittens still have these little twiggy’s hanging off of their umbilical cords and I have no idea if I am supposed to cut that off or if she will eventually take care of it. She just doesn’t act right and yes, I know she is sore, but it’s weird. I am going to watch her tomorrow and if she doesn’t seem to be getting around better then I am taking her to the Vet.

There are TONS of cute kitten pics on the horizon. I went from having two cats to twelve in a few days. God help me. I am the new queen of Crazy Cat town.. Hand over your crowns bitches!

I also replaced my front door today with a new one. This one is really pretty. And, it eliminates the bat cave syndrome that my husband suffers from. There is… Gasp!... light in my living room! Wheeeeeee! I got the door last month from a guy here that makes them cheap! I paid $100 for this door and it is prettier than the last door that I bought last year from Lowes for around $300 if I remember correctly, it was either $200 or $300 but whichever it was, this door is nicer, and it was a ton cheaper! Next payday we are putting insulation in the attic. We investigated and found out that there is only three, yes… THREE pieces of insulation up there and figure that could be the reason behind the $600 electric bills. Duh! So, we are on the race to put that in and replace the bathroom and living room window, put down a heat shield thing under the house and fix the block around the house so that no air can get under it before winter starts in. I am hating the $400 summer electric bills and have no intention of going through another winter with $600 and $700 bills. Caaarazeeee!


First the Inside Kitty pics:

Picture 060

Gives me a hot flash just thinking about having this many kids hanging off of me!

Picture 053

Fuzzy little thing isn't it? Looks a bit like a mole in the face now that I look at that picture.

Picture 055

"Damn, the Paparazzi again!"

Picture 064

Under my tub.. see, no room! No, I did not put up a picture of the dead thing, I didn't want to make anyone puke!

Picture 090

It amazes me that they can all sleep like this! They are so adorable!!!

Picture 092

"Air Five!"

Think up a better caption for that one and put it in the comments. I love that little hand up like that!

Oh, and I am officially needing kitten names. What I figure I will do is as they start getting bigger and looking more like 'themselves' I will start naming them. Suggestions are welcome... I mean really, I have to come up with ten names for heavens sake!

I have been messing with the templates and trying to Jazz this thing up some, I have added the subscribe thing and RSS feed and finally got my Banner up, so if you have problems with anything working make sure you let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!

Picture 041

This is the new door. I still have to paint it and the door casing black but it looks a lot better. I love the silver details in it and the glass designs.

3 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Love the new layout and the new door!

And your story cracked me up. There is nothing that skeeves me out more than dead things, let alone the bugs that dead things bring!

We named all of our animals after Greek mythology characters, so I'm a huge dork and will be of little help naming your cats without them being beaten up in school. I have my dog Pandora and we had a dog Icarus. Then our cats were Bacchus and Cronus but Bacchus left us for the vagabond life last summer. :(

Caption: Um, okay, okay, it was me. I had bean dip.

Anonymous said...

The bugs! I know all about the panic when it comes to THE BUGS! I could totally picture you doing your little freak out dance too!

And I LOVE the door! And the kittens!

Janie B said...

An interesting book that I read once had a whole section on cat pairs' names. Bonnie & Clyde. Fred & Ginger. That sort of thing. The one that still makes me smile?

"Hit & Run"

P.S. btw, found you via Crystal. Hope it's fine to link to you.